[Foundation-l] A proposal of partnership between Wikimedia Foundation and Internet Archive

Robert Rohde rarohde at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 20:27:55 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 12:05 PM,  <wiki-list at phizz.demon.co.uk> wrote:
<snip>
> No university, publisher, or newspaper has used my CC licensed images
> either commercially or non-commercially without checking with me first
> that the work is actually CC licensed. They have always carried out some
> form of due diligence to ascertain that the image is either licensed
> properly, and that they get a specific license to reuse. IOW they obtain
> a 'paper trail' of permission.

Good for you.  Most professional publishers do make every effort to
carry out due diligence.  However, I have had a several cases where
well known newspapers and magazines appropriated my images without
attempting to contact me (and in some cases even without providing any
attribution).  It does leave me to wonder how many other times my
images might have been used professionally and/or improperly and I
just don't know about it.

-Robert Rohde