[Foundation-l] Push translation

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Sat Aug 7 05:38:13 UTC 2010

> On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 2:22 PM, Mark Williamson <node.ue at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > 2) Implement spelling and punctuation check automatically within GTTK
>> before
>> > posting of the articles.
>> >
>> > There is spell check in Translator Toolkit, although it's not available
>> for
>> > all languages.  We don't have any punctuation checks today and I doubt
>> that
>> > we can release this anytime soon.  (If it's not available in Google Docs
>> or
>> > Gmail, then it's unlikely that we'll have it for Translator Toolkit, as
>> > well, since we use the same infrastructure.)
>> >
>> > What's the proposal, though - would you like for us to prevent publishing
>> of
>> > articles if they have too many spelling errors, or simply warn the user
>> that
>> > there are X spelling errors?  Any input you can provide on preferred
>> > behavior would be great.
>>
>> I would say to force spellcheck before publication, which does not
>> seem to be the case currently. I think this would be enough - perhaps
>> a warning as well. I don't know about preventing publication, although
>> that might work too.
>>

> How about this: we pop up a window that says, "Your translation has
> misspelled words: X.  Publish anyway?"
>
> Does that work?

That sounds great to me.

>> Also, as far as Indic languages go, I would ask if there's any chance
>> you have any Oriya speakers - with 637 articles, the Oriya Wikipedia
>> is by far the most anemic of Indic-language Wikipedias, in spite of a
>> speaker population of 31 million.
>>

> Oriya is one of the languages we'd love to work on.  We don't have any
> activity on this today but if you have some Wikipedians who'd like to help
> us get this off the ground, we'd love to get their contact info and we can
> follow up from there.

Unfortunately, there is currently not even an Oriya Wikipedia
community. I think such a project would need to be managed a bit
differently - seeking to either create a community (no reason
participants can't start a community), or to be relatively limited in
scope, or else to have more stringent controls on content quality. I
would love to help with that myself in any way possible.

Another option with a bit more community but still very underdeveloped
is the Punjabi Wikipedia, with 1919 pages. I would recommend
contacting Gman124 or Sukh at that project on their user talk pages or
through the e-mail user function.

-m.