[Foundation-l] Privacy policy, statistics and rankings

Pedro Sanchez pdsanchez at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 15:25:09 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 3:54 AM, Sebastian Moleski <info at sebmol.me> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> to give a little insight here: about two years ago the German Wikipedia
> community reached consensus that, for the page
>(...)

If I understand correctly emijrp here's the issue.
1) There's a global policy on data
2) German wikipedia have a more strict interpretation
3) Emijrp claims his page on spanish wikipedia doesn't break the
global policy (or any eswiki policy)
4) And while it's not allowed on dewiki (by a local policy, therefore
getting deleted) local policies of a wikipedia are, by definition of
local, only applied on that wiki.

User is not complaining that page violates global policy, only local one.
And emijrp points that global policy considers editcount as public.

Now people say "yes, but dewiki has a more strict policy", but again
this is not abotu dewiki (correctly) being able to have stronger local
policies.

This is similar to the issue a few weeks ago where a wiki decided to
enact a policy banning some images. It's a local policy, being applied
on that wiki. But noone expects such a stronger image policy to be a
valid reason for deletion on other wikis.