[Foundation-l] Heads up: Wikipedia on Facebook

Kul Takanao Wadhwa kwadhwa at wikimedia.org
Mon Apr 19 19:50:53 UTC 2010

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to let you know about new features Facebook is planning on
launching later today that involve articles from Wikipedia. Facebook is
going to begin integrating Wikipedia’s free knowledge into a new part of
the Facebook.com site experience to help users be more connected and
informed about the topics and activities that interest them. They're
calling this service Facebook Community Pages, portal pages which will
be owned and managed by the Facebook community.

Wikipedia articles on Facebook will further increase the reach of free
knowledge on the internet.  Facebook has hundreds of millions of users,
and now more than 70% of their traffic is coming from outside of the US.
Our hope is that many Facebook users (if they are not already) will also
be inclined to join the large community of Wikipedia contributors.
Facebook will follow the free licenses (CC-BY-SA) and help us find more
ways people can share knowledge. Furthermore, we will be looking at
other ways that both parties can cooperate in the future.

Initially it looks like this service will be focussed on English
Wikipedia, but considering Facebook's multi-lingual community it seems
likely that other languages will be brought in quickly. Because Facebook
members build the Community Pages, they will be able to suggest or add
more Wikipedia articles (as well as other relevant content from the
web).  They will also have a built-in feedback system in case the
article provided is not correct or has any display problems.

It's going to be a learning situation for both us and them so we'll see
how this goes.

--Kul

--
Kul Takanao Wadhwa