[Foundation-l] Welcome to a new board member

Bishakha Datta bishakhadatta at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 13:35:51 UTC 2010

Thanks, all. Thought I would just introduce myself a bit more.

Building on Michael (Snow's) email, for the last 12 years I have run Point
of View (www.pointofview,org), a Mumbai-based non-profit that puts the
voices and points of view of women in the public domain through media, art
and culture. We work on issues ranging from domestic violence, sex workers'
rights, gender and HIV - to enabling women in low-income communities to
access and use digital technologies (video, photo, net) to tell their own
stories and talk about their own realities.

Info-activism, specially via online platforms, is one of the issues that we
started working on a couple of years back. Our first foray into
info-activism was as one of the seeders of the Public Access Digital Media
Archive (http://pad.ma), which is built on open source software and
principles.

Apart from managing POV, I also make documentary videos on issues of gender
and sexuality, and am currently writing a non-fiction book on the lives of
sex workers in India. I also serve on the boards of many other non-profits
that work in the Global South, including CREA (www.creaworld.org) and
Breakthrough (www.breakthrough.tv) - and consult for foundations and
non-profits in India, the US, and parts of Africa.

Coming to Michael (Peel's) question about my prior involvement with
Wikipedia, I'm one of its millions of daily readers/users around the world.
I have yet to contribute enough by way of edits to call myself an editor.

Cheers - and really do look forward to contributing in more ways than one,
Bishakha