[Foundation-l] CTO role (Was: Re: Priorities and opportunities)

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Thu Sep 17 02:58:00 UTC 2009

2009/9/16 George Herbert <george.herbert at gmail.com>:
> I have a specific question regarding the CTO role which has been
> floating around not yet completely defined.  Brion announced the
> impending opening a while ago now and the formal definition of the job
> role (and possibly title, I suggest it's more of a CIO role than CTO
> per se) was to follow.
>
> As operational technical concerns are a credibly large part of the
> overall concerns people have about strategy and execution, can you
> tell us if there's a defined timeline on the new CTOish role being
> formalized, announced, etc?

Absolutely. We recently engaged the Walker Talent Group (
http://www.walkertalentgroup.com/ ) to help us with this search, which
they've graciously agreed to do on a pro bono basis. We had our first
serious meeting with them last Friday, and they are very excited to
reaching out to a broad network to surface a candidate who makes sense
for us. We've developed a draft JD which we've held off until we had
the opportunity to review it together with WTG, but which is ready to
post now and should go up early next week after a final review pass.
We're not going to hire unless we feel we have an excellent candidate,
but I hope we'll be able to place the position by the end of the year.
--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation