[Foundation-l] Font support for our domains

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 15:56:30 UTC 2009

Hoi,
So you want to have a comparison.

When you type in the Korean script, you have to change your keyboard in
order to be able to type a URL. Alternatively for the advanced users, you
know the codes for the characters that are the suffix for a domain. The vast
majority of people do not know how to do this.

When you type in the Latin script, when your language is Hungarian, you do
not have to change your keyboard mapping. I expect that the characters are
right there in front of you.

Our objective is to reach out to all people of this world and provide them
with the information that they seek. Sue indicated that she wishes for the
WMF projects to have the number five reach in every country. It helps when
our wikis are super usable, when our usability is much improved. Remember
that in a UNESCO study they found that 100% of a group of testsubjects were
not able to create a new article.  This means that the argument of what some
people are used to is not that strong.

The good news is, every thing will remain the same for the hu.wikipedia.org.
It does not need any change. Other languages like Russian, Chinese, Hindi
have the potential to grow much bigger then they are today, they have a
different script, they may benefit when we consider measures that make it
easy on the many people who are new to Wikipedia. When a URL can be fully in
one script, you will find increasingly people who will not be interested in
those websites that are not considered enough to reach out.

I have presented you with the arguments why we should adopt full URL's in
other scripts in addition to our current domains. I hope that you see my
point but we can debate them anyway.
Thanks,
       GerardM