[Foundation-l] Google Wave and Wikimedia projects

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sat May 30 13:14:29 UTC 2009

2009/5/30 Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org>:
> On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 8:26 AM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> I hated the way it didn't seem to
>> indicate what message you were replying to. For the most part, the
>> conversation had a linear structure, not a tree one. They would reply
>> to the last message in the conversation and the reply would have the
>> same indentation as all the rest of the messages. To me, that makes it
>> look like a reply to the original message that started the wave.
>

> Heh, that's actually one of the memes in Wikipedia (etc.) talk pages that I
> never liked.  Too geeky.

It doesn't have to be indentation, but there should be some clear way
of denoting what something is in reply to. Indentation is the most
common method I've seen, it is not restricted to Wikipedia (or even
wikis in general) by any means. I can't think of a way that would be
better than indentation, but that may just be because I've become so
immersed in that style of communication. You mention doing it using
colours - I can see a really cool way of doing it by having a reply be
the same colour as the message being replied to but slightly darker
and with a slight tint to it, different replies would have different
tints. You would then end up with a beautiful rainbow of messages. As
cool as that would be, I still think indentation is better!