[Foundation-l] Google Wave and Wikimedia projects

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Sat May 30 12:33:40 UTC 2009

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 8:06 AM, Milos Rancic <millosh at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 1:55 PM, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:
> > Like replying in the middle of a message, not by quoting the original,
> but
> > by just editing the person's message to add your question in the middle
> of
> > it.  How pissed would you be if someone did that on your User talk page?
> > But yet it got applause.  Don't people think?  What was the constituency
> of
> > the audience, anyway?  They were applauding at some pretty horrible
> ideas.
>
> If I remember well, it was replying in the middle of a collaborative
> document. I suppose that there is an option "remove all comments" or
> so. Also, you may trace history of collaboration and comments (at more
> intuitive way than on MediaWiki page histories).

Maybe so.  I'm sure there will be a way to turn it off.  If not initially
then after the hate mail starts coming in.

And yeah, you can in theory trace the history.  But I don't want to do all
that work.

Again, after thinking about it further I guess it has its possible uses.
But they were pitching it as a replacement for email, not as a replacement
for wikis or a new method of communications altogether.

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 8:13 AM, Gerard Meijssen
<gerard.meijssen at gmail.com>wrote:

> When you paid attention, you would know that it were developers.

Well, yes, clearly, but that only partially explains the lack of grasp on
the real world.  Seriously, I remember watching some other parts and
thinking about how it was surely written by some geek with no concept of a
world outside of cyberspace.

But the audience seemed to be even in love with Google, almost in a
cult-like way, compared to the average developer.  I mean, sure, it was a
self-selected sample, of people interested in Google, but even that doesn't
explain the response.  I'm quite interested in Google, and as a shareholder
I am quite biased toward them.  But I wouldn't have dreamed of applauding at
some of the crap they revealed.