[Foundation-l] Information about 2009 Board of Trustees election

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu May 28 04:57:53 UTC 2009

Robert Rohde wrote:
> On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 9:16 AM, philippe <philippe.wiki at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Ah, OK, sorry for my misunderstanding of the question.
>>
>> Indeed, we had that same discussion amongst the committee.  In the
>> end, the vote timing is driven by Wikimania and the need to purchase
>> tickets for the new trustees-designate to get there (at a reasonable
>> price, which usually requires a 14 day advance purchase), while also
>> taking the time to get the translations done as completely as possible.
>>
>> In addition, it was our feeling that last year that the first week had
>> - by far - the vast majority of the votes cast with relatively little
>> movement afterwards.
>>
> You mileage may vary of course, but the Licensing Update vote had
> roughly 60%, 25% and 15% of votes cast during each of its three weeks.
>  I'd hate to have ignored 40% by stopping after only 1 week.

The ticket purchase seems like a lame excuse for cutting down the voting
period.  Let the candidates buy their own tickets early, and the winners
 can be reimbursed when they get to Buenos Aires.

This year's Wikimania is more than a month later than last year's.  By
having the election roughly at the same time as last year's there would
be more than ample time for three weeks of voting.  The voting members
should not be deprived of voting opportunities because of the election
committee's failure to recognize this.

Ec