[Foundation-l] Wikipedia is not the Karma Sutra, was Re: commons and freely licensed sexual imagery

Robert Rohde rarohde at gmail.com
Thu May 14 20:29:06 UTC 2009

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 10:29 AM, Brion Vibber <brion at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> IMHO any restriction that's not present in the default view isn't likely
> to accomplish much. The answer an objecting parent wants to "my daughter
> saw a lady with semen on her neck on your website" is *not* "you should
> have told her to log in and check 'no sexual imagery' in her profile"!
<snip>

I would suggest that a "child-safe" version of Wikipedia be cloaked
with its own domain syntax in a way similar to secure.wikimedia.org.
That would allow schools and parents to block the main site while
providing access to an alternative that they might find more
acceptable.

Since domain level filtering is already commonly employed by many
software packages I don't think that would be an unreasonable thing to
ask.  Choosing what filtered views of Wikipedia to provide at a domain
level would require some discussion of course as well as some form of
social agreement about what content belongs behind the filter.  Not
easy issues at all, but making a good faith effort to address them
would be huge in my mind.

-Robert Rohde