[Foundation-l] Long-term archiving of Wikimedia content

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Wed May 6 15:01:00 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 12:50 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> What are you using to compare the quality of optics to the quality of computers?

* For example, having optics for 2700 years and having computers for
somewhat more than 50 years.
* Optics is able to help humans with disabilities for a long time,
while computers are just starting with that task.
* Optics is able to reach events around the beginning of the Universe,
while computers are starting now to make really big things (for
example, really useful Internet for a lot of humans exists a couple of
years).
* A lot of basic cures invented thanks to optics.
* Thanks to optics we are able to make computers.
* Generally, everything which differs one simple technology from the
complex contemporary technology depends on optics.

Of course, it is [still] not possible to compare such things exactly;
as well as such comparison may be a good source for parody. And, of
course, computers started to help in all of those fields, but,
generally, the most of ordinary things around us still depend much
more on optics than on computers.