[Foundation-l] Considerations for museums and archives to gain their cooperation

geni geniice at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 17:37:08 UTC 2009

2009/3/30 Milos Rancic <millosh at gmail.com>:
> Once again, if we have non-free.wikimedia.org repository, with precise
> rules, we wouldn't be able to have all kinds of materials which policy
> of Commons prohibits:
> * Orphan works.

Strictly speaking no it doesn't. For example it would allow images
that used the "the identity of an author shall be regarded as unknown
if it is not possible for a person to ascertain his identity by
reasonable inquiry; but if his identity is once known it shall not
subsequently be regarded as unknown." clause under UK law. Good luck
meeting that requirement though.

> * Somewhat more flexible conditions for the situations like you mentioned.

No. Commons lack of flexibility exists partly in order to keep things
understandable.

> * Logos and other trademarks at one place.
> * Strictly defined fair use images (like on en.wp) at one place.

This wouldn't be legal.

--
geni