[Foundation-l] Considerations for museums and archives to gain their cooperation

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 22:35:00 UTC 2009

Hoi.
I am talking to a few museums and archives and several of them are
interested in considering Commons for their collection. At the same time
they are also considering Flickr.

The issue they have with Commons is its restrictions. One of the museums
said it like this: "We have done our best to ascertain the copyright status
of much of our material. We have not been  able to find the original
copyright holder or someone who inherited these rights. When we post our
material to Flickr, we just remove the material when a copyright holder
turns up and asks us to. Doing it in any other way requires much more
effort. Effort that we rather spend in more productive endeavours like
digitising and annotating."

My question is, will it be acceptable when a museum or archive provides us
with their material and when we learn about a request to take down material,
we do this when requested by the copyright holder.  This is not considered
an issue with Flickr !!
Thanks,
        GerardM