[Foundation-l] Proposed revised attribution language

Charlotte Webb charlottethewebb at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 17:49:43 UTC 2009

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 3:39 PM, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:
>> If the people producing the mugs want that they are free to produce a
>> version of the history on their servers or more legally more solid
>> include a sheet of paper with a complete list of authors with the mug.
>
> It's hard to know who's being serious here.

Indeed, would I be violating the GFDL if I open the box, throw away
the paper, but keep the mug...

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 2:13 PM, Magnus Manske
<magnusmanske at googlemail.com> wrote:
> What might /really/ be cool would be
> http://en.wikipedia.org/authors/Xenu

This would still give the wrong data if the page has been moved to
[[Xenu (Scientology)]] and the [[Xenu (disambiguation)]] is moved to
[[Xenu]], which isn't a totally unreasonable outcome.

You'd have to use something like:
http://en.wikipedia.org/authors/46634
as an alias for:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=46634&action=history

or have it forward to something like this better yet if it can be
tweaked to accept a `page_id` parameter instead of a title (ideally
made part of the software proper):
http://toolserver.org/~daniel/WikiSense/Contributors.php?wikilang=en&wikifam=.wikipedia.org&grouped=on&page=Xenu

> or even
> http://en.wikipedia.org/main_authors/Xenu
> filtering out minor contribs and IPs...

Would this rely on the `rev_minor_edit` field or something more
sophisticated? I see too many false positives and negatives to this
approach, but I guess that's somebody else's problem?

—C.W.