[Foundation-l] Attribution by URL reasoning?

Mike Linksvayer ml at creativecommons.org
Wed Mar 11 16:24:39 UTC 2009

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 8:25 AM, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:
> I see you've posted a blog post (
> http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/13232) which suggests that
> attribution by link was added in 2.5.  You point to this a blog post by Mia
> Garlick (http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/5447) announcing the draft
> changes.  From the content of those changes I gather that you are referring
> to the clause regarding the "terms of service or other reasonable means".
> Is this correct?

I was wrong, will note in the post momentarily.  Attribution by link
was added in 2.0, see http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/4216

The addition in 2.5 was more subtle -- allowing the licensor to say
that attribution should go to another party -- a journal or wiki were
the two use cases I remember.

You can see the changes in 4(c) of

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/1.0/legalcode
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/legalcode