[Foundation-l] Proposed revised attribution language

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 03:05:51 UTC 2009

Erik Moeller wrote:
> b) a link to an
> alternative online copy which is freely accessible and conforms with
> the license and includes a list a list of all authors,

What is the purpose of the wording "and
includes a list a list of all authors," ?

Doesn't that preclude people from applying
the same understanding of what "reasonable"
attribution is, that the text seems to require
of wikimedia itself (I am not commenting on
whether it is reasonable at this point, just on
the fact that you seem to with this wording
be requiring a full list of all authors in
addition to linking in the same form you
would link to wikimedia.

I could understand that this would make
people prefer to link to wikipedia rather
than a site for which you are claiming a
more strong attribution form would be
required. But I am unclear on what the
thinking is behind this, so perhaps not
best to speculate. Can you clarify?

To me philosophically (I will need to think
about the ramifications more deeply
before I can offer even a thoughtful
layman's opinion on the matter), it seems
to at the very least go against the spirit
of the "share-alike" part of the license.

Yours,

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen