[Foundation-l] Pissed off at en:Wikisource

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Mar 10 12:14:45 UTC 2009

The behaviour of three people in driving me out of adminship at
en:wikisource has left me bitterly disappointed with and deeply offended
by the length to which some will go to rid themselves of someone whom
they personally dislike.  I cannot but view their efforts as anything
but a series of concerted personal attacks.  The details can be found at
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Wikisource:Administrators/Archives/Eclecticology

The process began in the context of an annual confirmation at
Wikisource.  John Vandenberg began stirring the pot with a series of
five claims which were all easily refuted.  He later commented:"there is
no expectation that evidence is provided here, nor is there a
requirement to have attempted to "fix" the admin conduct prior to the
vote of confidence."  This is clear hostility to any peaceful resolution.

Pathoschild did not hesitate to distort and exaggerate individual
incidents to suit his purposes.  If I call a certain type of edit
"useless", it can hardly be construed as a comment about the person.
When he went so far as to say that I was belittling others, that was a
bald-faced lie. His comment, "Of course he can reapply at any time, but
I'll likely object then for the same reasons," tells me that he is
willing to hold on to his grudges indefinitely.

Although, to his credit, Thomas V did not cast a vote because his
en:wikisource activities have recently been sparse, that did not prevent
him from dragging in old settled issues pre-dating the division of
Wikisource into separate domains.  He did not hesitate to attack two
individuals who supported my continued adminship.  For one he complained
that his support was based entirely on the way I looked in a picture of
me taken at a Portland meetup.  There was no doubt more to the IRC
conversation than that, but I am not privy to how those
behind-the-scenes conversations may have influenced opinions.

The grudges with the latter two individuals have been ongoing for a long
time, and in the past year I have been more than happy to keep my
contact with them to a minimum.  I certainly have not had the energy to
wantonly dig up dirt on them when their confirmations came up.

The underlying issues for the complaints against me would be laughable
in certain other projects.  NPOV issues are fairly uncommon in
Wikisource; persistent copyvios are not an issue; no questions of
edit-warring are involved.  Much of the problems had to do with cleaning
up backlog, or differing views about how articles should be named, or
banners on an author page to say that we had no works by that author
even though that fact was already obvious because all the links were
red.  I have also had strong differences with the more technically
minded people (including all three named above) over technical solutions
and how we use templates.  I happen to believe that an overuse of such
techniques will drive away desperately needed help from non-technical
people, and that some of the more rigid structures actually  hinder our
ability to become a value-added project.  I have no compunctions about
expressing my visions forcefully, or allowing for multiple solutions to
a problem without feeling obliged to choose one as superior.  If one is
indeed superior it will eventually prevail without being forced. Being
an admin should not prevent anyone from strongly arguing views that are
different from those that currently prevail, and the fear that those
tools may be taken away should not serve to intimidate admins away from
taking unpopular actions.  Proceeding with fairness and integrity is
more important than popularity, and if it means that my actions will
occasionally be reversed I'm not too worried about that

I have participated in these communities for seven years already, and my
loyalty to their success is beyond question.  I was active on the
original Wikisource from the day that it opened, and have always
maintained a vision for that project that goes far beyond the current
trends.

In the course of the confirmations I did express my willingness to
consider mediation, but that received no response at all.  The
Wikisource community is too small to have a regular arbitration or
appeal process, and seeking a review from the same people who drove the
tyranny of the majority is not likely to be successful.  They are not in
a position to take a fresh unbiased approach to the matter.  I would
appreciate it if someone could give a fresh look at this, and perhaps
provide a degree of mediation.

Ec