[Foundation-l] Simple English Wikipedia on xkcd

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 18:48:59 UTC 2009

There has been considerable argument here has been that it  ought to
be allowed. Speaking for myself, there are two I think I might be able
to mange to work in , though i wouldn't attempt to write anything
substantial for the regular versions.  English speakers need
encouragement not to be monolingual, and the added skills  would help
their work on the regular wiki.

On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 2:05 PM, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:
> Ziko van Dijk wrote:
>> For principal reasons, the establishing of "simple" Wikipedias is no longer
>> allowed.
>
> Sorry, but I was under the impression that it was for bureaucratic reasons.
>
>> But maybe they could become a Wikimedia project tyipe of their own,
>> merged with the idea of a Wikipedia for juniors (Wikijunior). It is common
>> that big publishers provide also an encyclopedia for children and young
>> people, popular also with beginners in that peticular language.
>
> Whatever the medium, it still takes people to write it.  Hosting a
> Simple project does not imply that it's utility is limited to children.
> The motivation of second language acquirers differs substantially from
> that of children.  They may already be familiar with complex ideas in
> their first language, but just lacking the verbal skills to consider
> them in the second language.
>
> Ec

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.