[Foundation-l] Attribution survey and licensing next steps

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 15:04:08 UTC 2009

2009/3/8 John at Darkstar <vacuum at jeb.no>:
> One person told me that attribution of a single article and a bigger
> collection could be made different. That is, a single printed copy of an
> article could use a credit of "Wikipedia" and a mirror on a website
> could use a history link. We don't have to choose a "one scheme fits
> all" -solution.

Crediting "Wikipedia" would never be acceptable under CC-by-SA, since
existing contributions weren't made under a terms of service that
required permission be granted for such attribution. However, your
example not working doesn't mean your point is incorrect. We're trying
to determine what form of attribution is reasonable. It stands to
reason that what is reasonable will depend on the context, and amount
of content being used could well be a factor. There is an argument for
keeping our recommended forms of attribution (and that's all we're
talking about here - we can't demand a certain form of attribution,
just recommend one) as simple as possible, though.