[Foundation-l] Request for your input: biographies of living people

Sue Gardner sgardner at wikimedia.org
Wed Mar 4 09:09:58 UTC 2009

2009/3/3 Michael Snow <wikipedia at verizon.net>

> But someone making a request is a sign that the article really needs a
> hard look, and quite possibly should be removed for not meeting our
> standards. So the reversed presumption of "default to delete, unless
> consensus to keep" is a good idea for living subjects. I would add that
> when this is in question, arguments that make excuses for the current
> state of the article are not valid reasons to keep it.

I am just clarifying - "default to delete unless consensus to keep" would be
a change from current state, right?

I ask because I got a call the other day from someone asking to have the BLP
about her deleted. The article centred around a single incident in her
life.  I handed it off to a longtime English Wikipedian (doesn't matter
who), who told me the subject was notable and therefore the article would be
kept.

That experience was consistent with my general understanding - that it has
been extremely difficult for even marginally notable people to get the BLP
about them deleted.

So -again, just to clarify- if Wikipedia adopted a practice of defaulting to
delete unless there's consensus to keep, that would be change from how BLPs
are handled today - yes?