[Foundation-l] Request for your input: biographies of living people

Ziko van Dijk zvandijk at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 3 18:31:22 UTC 2009

The whole issue might be approached in these steps:

1) Determine the role of the Foundation
We claim that WMF does not interfere with the content. How true is this, and
how true we want to make it? It is pretty easy to say that "our national
Wikimedia organisation" is not the owner, but WMF in a country far far away
and difficult to suit. And WMF claims that it is not responsible for
content, but the author in question. But if WMF establishes a policy about
BLP, there might rise doubt this.

2) Determine what the issue exactly is
If someone complaints about "his" article, his criticism can be reasonable
or not. So this is the policy itself. Maybe WMF could support (together with
other organizations) a group of experts that makes a policy proposal for
internet platforms in general.

3) Help the readers, "victims" and Wikipedians
Not only for the persons concerned, but also for the Wikipedians it is
important to know how to deal with the issue. I would welcome a brochure for
people who believe that their personality rights are inflicted, and training
lessons for Wikipedians. Those lessons could be organized by Wikimedia
organisations with a more general title, also interesting for a curriculum
vitae (resumé) of the participating Wikipedians.

Kind regards
Ziko

--
Ziko van Dijk