[Foundation-l] Request for your input: biographies of living

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 16:55:08 UTC 2009

2009/3/2 Steve Smith <sarcasticidealist at gmail.com>:

> * at the very least, the WMF should clarify that its policy that no
> account is needed to edit does not preclude the default
> semi-protection of BLPs (or any similar configuration of flagged
> revisions).  This has been one of several stonewalling responses at
> en-wiki when protection of BLPs has been proposed: "Sorry, we can't do
> it; Foundation issue".

Yes please!

> * something like en-wiki's BLP policy should be mandated an all
> foundation projects, but I don't honestly think that'll do much.  The
> problem isn't in policy not mandating the right content, it's in
> policy not being consistently applied.

Strongly suggesting it should be enough. NPOV is mandated on all
Wikipedias, BLP policy is constructed so as to follow directly from
the basic en:wp content policies.

That's why I'm interested to hear what the policies actually are on
other Wikimedia projects.

(This isn't just an en:wp problem, at all.)

> Again, I'm pleased to see that this is receiving attention at the
> levels it should be.

The Foundation has less power to force people to do things than people
think it does.

The main thing is how we can all work out how to do this right.

- d.