[Foundation-l] Licensing update roll-out

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Thu Jun 18 17:00:52 UTC 2009

2009/6/18 Walter Vermeir <walter at wikipedia.be>:
> When I look at the updated en.wikipedia.org and [[meta:Licensing
> update/Implementation]] page I see that site footer only states that the
> text is licensed under the "Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike
> License".
>
> No mention anymore of the good old GNU/FDL.
>
> Yes, there is the phrase;
> "additional terms may apply. See Terms of Use for details."

The GNU FDL does not apply to pages that import CC-BY-SA only content.
We now already have a few examples of that with content imported from
Citizendium. Because the GFDL is only of interest to a minority of
re-users, and because it doesn't apply to all pages, and because
re-users have to verify that it _actually_ applies on a per-page
basis, I think it's completely appropriate to refer to the terms of
use here rather than bloating up the site footer. People have to read
the terms anyway to understand what's going on.
--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation