[Foundation-l] Analysis of statistics

Marc Riddell michaeldavid86 at comcast.net
Mon Jul 27 16:42:00 UTC 2009

on 7/27/09 8:32 AM, Dennis During at dcduring at gmail.com wrote:

> It is not entirely a matter of recruitment.
>
> To me the problem appears in the form of how welcoming the projects are to
> the different types of contributors and types of contributions. That, in
> turn relates to the value system and cognitive and social biases of those
> who control the projects.

And it is this control group, this "consolidation of power" which was
described earlier in this discussion, that is keeping the Project from
reaching its full potential. This issue has been brought up many times in
the past, but each time has been conveniently ignored by this group - which
in psych language constitutes denial. In fact, this practice of ignoring
persons and/or issues they don't want to confront appears to be a handy
refuge for members of this group. There appears to be a fear in some of the
more forceful in this group that, if they loosen their grip, they will be
left behind. Perhaps they will if they don't grow with it. In any case, this
is one of the most pressing issues facing the Project today. And one, if not
confronted, which will cause the Project to fall into mediocrity as newer,
more tolerant, more innovative projects come into being.

Marc Riddell