[Foundation-l] Dispute resolution mailing list

stevertigo stvrtg at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 19:30:26 UTC 2009

Pedro Sanchez commented on a few of my points, but mistakenly removed
my byline, making Yaroslav look like the author. These are responses
to Pedro's comments.

Pedro Sanchez<pdsanchez at gmail.com> wrote:
> And english wikipedia has several mailing lists to deal with its own issues.
> Foundation-l  is for wikimedia-wide issues.
The point is that to a certain degree we can make requests for new
lists, which are handled by the foundation, and hosted by the
foundation. And of course a new list has certain foundation-wide
effects, so that's yet another reason.  But if your criticism of this
discussion here boils down to something like "go away" please just say
so.

> This is like justifying that discussing english wikipedia issues would be ok
> on the spanish wikinews mailing list (because both are mailing lists hosts
> on wikimedia server)
Since the beginning, all Wikimedia-wide issues have been discussed in
English, and we have seen serious representation, even if not ample or
even sufficient representation, from other languages and cultures.
Every non-English wiki and mailing list was started by a request made
in English to the then-current proper venue: Wikipedia-l, wikien-l,
intlwiki-l, wikitech-l,  etc. have all been 'proper venues' at one
time or another.

> The "functionaries" thing is an english wikipedia thing. New wikis, new
> mailing lists, everything.. is also setup by employees. Yet we have a
> mailing list for commons, a mailing list for french wikipedia, etc
I did not know functionaries-l is for en.wiki only. Generally, the
proper form would then be functionaries-en-l. But this gets into the
general problematic issues regarding how a global project is largely
managed by a small group of  English-speaking people. Forming a
U.S.-based foundation also contributes to the problem.

But in reality, things have to get done, and we do them in English. I
did start a discussion on wikien-l, but foundation personnel did not
participate. Talking about things here may mean that wikien-l people
don't participate, but I can rectify that oversight with a quick
announce note there.

> And where's consensus that other wikis want THAT? And it should be proposed
> on meta if you want to claim support from all wikimedia
We're discussing it now. A meta page is a possibility.

> So? Moving it up to global mailing list where most people won't care about
> english wikipedia will solve it?
Hm. Interesting point that people on foundation-l have not even a
tangential interest in its flagship project. I mean, just to break it
down for you, en.wiki has ~3 million articles, while de.wiki has ~1
million. Throw in some kind of quantitative/qualitative differentials
between English und German language facility and usage, and that 3-1
ratio becomes something like 19-1. Hence whatever substance was in
your comment is negated.

> If you have troubles with cary deal them with him,
I emailed him directly. No response. I tried starting a 100 email
thread on wikein-l. No notice. I filed a bug/request. No response. The
point, I suppose, is that I am dealing with him, and anyone whom might
be treating him like a functionary.

> stop polluting inboxes from unrelated parties
This is unnecessary. If you don't want to read something, don't.

> Alright, so it's all about shouting louder to get what you want
Well, I did wait patiently for a month. And I do sashimi BS well
enough. I just don't see how any of that equates to "shouting."

-Steven