[Foundation-l] Analysis of statistics

Henning Schlottmann h.schlottmann at gmx.net
Fri Jul 24 13:24:15 UTC 2009

Milos Rancic wrote:
> In all cases we need to think seriously how to educate younger
> generations about Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects.

Thanks for all the data and the number crunching. But I think you are
wrong in your assumptions and therefore in your analysis at least
regarding de-WP. Here we are not looking at 15 year olds, we are looking
at retired academics as the future of our user base.

Quite frankly, a 15 years old can't contribute to de-WP anymore. Not
even 20 years olds can. De-WP has reached a level where undergraduates
can do vandal fighting and stuff like that, but writing and improving
articles needs access to academic literature and experience in academic
writing. 25 to 45 years olds usually have other priorities, they build a
career and a family.

It is the logical step to look for retired academics, because they have
the expertise needed. The demographics in the 15-35 range therefore are
completely irrelevant for de-WP.

Ciao Henning