[Foundation-l] Britain or Ukraine? What UK stands for in Wikimedia jargon

Pavlo Shevelo pavlo.shevelo at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 11:09:39 UTC 2009

Hi Jon,

Thanks a lot for promt and informative (so valuable) input.

Regarding
> Wikipedias follow the ISO 639 language code standard
and
> The chapter sites, however, use the ISO 3166 standard for country codes,

all WPs and all chapters have to do that very strictly and same way,
aren't they (that's us ;) ) ?

Regarding
> ...  our usage however mirrors that of the country
> code top level domains<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Country_code_top-level_domain>

seems not really applicable to situation except for
http://wikimedia.org.uk
which is not disputable same as http://wikimedia.org.uk (yes, again
"same as" :) )

So it seems logical (including Nikola Smolenski thought) that one and
only fair usage for
>> http://uk.wikimedia.org
is to serve for placement of informative disabiguation page as