[Foundation-l] [Slashdot] Why the Photos On Wikipedia Are So Bad

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 19:35:36 UTC 2009

2009/7/21  <wiki-lists at phizz.demon.co.uk>:

> If you have a personal use, want to illustrating an article or blog that
> is not Adsense rich, have an academic use, or a small scale fundraising
> non-profit fine take what you want. If on the other hand you are share
> cropping with Google Ads, using the images to tart up an otherwise
> tawdry commercial web site, are involved in online selling, are a
> commercial advertising or publishing house, then kiss my arse.
> The NC license serves very well.

Certainly. I don't release every pic I take under a free license ...
hardly any of them, actually.

For Wikimedia purposes, though, one has to really let it free.

Explaining this to professional content creators and media companies
leads to exploding heads. Pointing out that giving it all away has
made Wikipedia a top-ten website and must be doing all right from it
isn't enough to convince them ... it goes so much against everything
they think they know about the world.

- d.