[Foundation-l] strategic planning IRC office hours

Eugene Eric Kim eekim at blueoxen.com
Tue Jul 21 14:42:15 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 7:07 PM, Samuel Klein<meta.sj at gmail.com> wrote:
> * Could you please help update the meta page on the process with your
> thoughts and ideas?   [[m:Strategic planning 2009]]  What's your current
> rough timeline for the coming 12 months?

We'll start seeding Meta with what we know (and probably quite a bit
of what we don't) today, and I'll look forward to reading other
people's thoughts.

On creating a new Wiki: I hear you. I'm constantly fighting Wiki-creep
with some of my other communities and clients. Creating new Wikis is
often knee-jerk, and knee-jerk is usually not the best thing.

There's a tradeoff between starting with a blank slate and the need to
re-establish a community and a set of norms. My gut tells me that a
blank slate is better for this project, but I'm open to other
feedback.

> * I see you are using a non-editable Chandler calendar to track tasks.  Can
> you set up an editable one for the whole community to use?  It also seems to
> me that more of the 'later' tasks, even at this early stage, should be
> milestones from / facilitated through / presented to the community, whereas
> they are currently designed around bridgespan and board meetings.

Please take my Chandler calendar with a grain of salt. We're just
getting started, and it's incomplete. My main task right now is
listening, and that hasn't necessarily been articulated on my
calendar.

We can make some sort of publicly editable task list available,
whether that's on a Wiki, Bugzilla, or some other tool. It's not
likely to be Chandler, because Chandler does not support versioning or
rollback. Regardless, I plan on keeping my Chandler calendar
world-readable, so that folks can watch me heroically attempt to keep
my meeting list manageable. :-)

> * I have the impression that bridgespan would like to be brought up to speed
> on what the community's key issues, motivations, and priorities are.  You
> probably know better than anyone; how can community members best help get
> outsiders (like BS) get up to speed on past discussions about WM and WP
> future planning?  How have you been getting up to speed?

I'm still getting up to speed. :-)  I've read a lot of Meta, I've been
following various lists, I'm talking to a bunch of people, and I hope
to talk to many more.

The best way existing community members can help with this process is
to engage, be patient, and be open. It's a bit easier for me, because
I'm not a complete outsider, and I've been part of the Wiki community
for a long time. For others, wrapping their heads around transparency
and large-scale engagement might be a bit of a shock to their system.
Understand that this is a learning process for _all_ of us, and
embrace this as a learning process for yourselves as well.

=Eugene