[Foundation-l] Donation Button Enhancement : Part 2

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Tue Jul 21 01:19:10 UTC 2009

2009/7/20 Liam Wyatt <liamwyatt at gmail.com>:
> Rotating them would seem like a more viable solution than randomised - We
> don't want the situation where every new page in WP someone reads there is a
> new/different coloured donation button where last week there was none at all
> - to go from nothing to that would be almost as bad as a flashing "donate
> here, now!" banner.

Indeed, that's the reasoning behind the proposed approach. We don't
want it to typically be changing constantly for an individual user.
Yes, a sequential run does introduce various problematic biases.

An IP-address based hack could work, but would need to take into
account dynamic IP addresses and such, without introducing strange new
biases of its own. We'll discuss a bit further - good ideas /
algorithms welcome. :-)
--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation