[Foundation-l] RE; Announcing Philippe Beaudette as the Strategy Project Facilitator

Tim Landscheidt tim at tim-landscheidt.de
Mon Jul 20 17:19:59 UTC 2009

geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I fail to understand how the extension of the candidacy period can pose a
>> possible conflict of interest on Philippe's part at all. Please explain.

> The board are effectively going to be his future boss's boss.

> In theory as a member the election committee he is meant to make the
> decision on the basis of what is best for the election. Problem is he
> also has a clear personal interest in choosing the option that is most
> likely to give him the type of boss's boss he wants.

And as an editor/donor/whatever he also has a clear personal
interest. If he hadn't an interest in Wikimedia, he probably
wouldn't have volunteered in the first place. So what?

  In Germany, the election supervisors are typically employ-
ees of the bodies to be elected. Any conflict of interest is
avoided in the way that their actions (few in number) are
very transparent at practically no discretion.

  So, I do not see any answer to Jon's question *how* Phi-
lippe could deliberately further his personal goals by par-
ticipating in a decision of the election committee to expand
(or not) the candidacy period.

Tim