[Foundation-l] National Portrait Gallery

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 19:21:27 UTC 2009

The problem is in sustaining the less used part of the collection,
which from an archival standpoint and also ultimate cultural value is
equally important.  Normally, any such institution would expect to use
the profits from the ones that sell most to support the others--[[The
long tail]].

This is analogous to the principle that it is easy to finance a
library of best-sellers--any town can do it, but only the very richest
organizations can afford a library that includes everything that might
be needed.

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.