[Foundation-l] A heads up

Tim Landscheidt tim at tim-landscheidt.de
Wed Jul 15 19:57:27 UTC 2009

Magnus Manske <magnusmanske at googlemail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> I got another, loosely idea: Could we use the language templates in
> the descriptions to build a "missing matrix" of translations, for
> translators? I speak English and German; I would like to see images
> that only have a German description, and translate it to English. A
> special site (toolserver?) could show me the image and the German
> description, I enter the English one in a text box, and go to a page
> with everything prepared for me, just click save and be done.

Go ahead: Toolserver's Templatetiger database has - though
rather raw - data for Commons (cf.
<URI:http://toolserver.org/~kolossos/templatetiger/tt-table4.php?template=Information&lang=commonswiki&where=&is=>).
Problems I see:

- Tagging those pictures where the language of the descrip-
  tion is not specified (cf. [[File:Quail1.PNG]] (English)
  vs. [[File:Helsinkitram.jpg]] ((probably :-)) German).
- Dealing with all the pictures that do not use
  {{Information}}.

Tim