[Foundation-l] A chapters-related question

Delphine Ménard notafishz at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 20:01:14 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 20:20, Casey Brown<cbrown1023.ml at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 11:53 AM, Thomas Dalton<thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't know the details of the "catalan case" and I think it is
>> probably quite different to the "Welsh case"
>
> As far as I know, you're right -- they are very different. :-)  My
> understanding of the "catalan case" is that a group of people want to
> make a Catalan-language-type chapter, where it is registered in one
> country but can carry out activities in other areas where the Catalan
> language is widely used.  (They run into a small problem when these
> areas are located in countries that already have chapters (fr/it) and
> ones that might have them in the future (es).)
>
> The Meta page will probably give a better explanation for those
> interested: <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_in_Catalan>

Exactly. One (the Welsh) is integrated into the geographic region of
one chapter, the other (the Catalan) spreads across geographic regions
taken care of by several chapters.

On the case of the Welsh, I see no problem of having a "Wikimedia
Wales" as a "section" of Wikimedia UK, for example. But that is a
different story :)

Cheers,

Delphine

--