[Foundation-l] Fwd: How do you fully consult the community consensus?

geni geniice at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 17:29:59 UTC 2009

2009/7/6 David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com>:
> 2009/7/6 geni <geniice at gmail.com>:
>
>> Questionable. Since for fairly obvious reasons you can't let
>> wikipedians execute arbitrary code through templates there is always
>> going to be the problem of wikipedians useing workarounds that
>> generate problematical code.
>

> ParserFunctions is already Turing-complete, so your first clause is
> factually inaccurate. The present workaround is to kill template
> computations that take too long. The problems are: (1) they're hard to
> program (2) they're hard to parse.

I know this. Take too long though isn't an option because you would
hit issues with templates that only run some of the time. Current
limits on templates are rather more complex. I would argue that
arbitrary code by definition includes code with far more steps than
than ParserFunctions allows.

Getting back to the point attempts to highly optimize code to stay
within whatever the new equivalent of [[Wikipedia:Template_limits]]
would risk even a fairly clean language turning into something of a
mess.

--
geni