[Foundation-l] No default codec for <video> and <audio> in HTML5

Peter Gervai grinapo at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 14:08:52 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 13:26, Amir E. Aharoni<amir.aharoni at gmail.com> wrote:

> But it's even better not to push OGG through a committee, but to make
> it the de-facto standard by just using it as much as possible and
> recommending Wikipedia readers to install a browser that supports it.

And like it or not we may happen to be stonger than micro$oft on this
field since we may very possibly have more influence on the webizens
around than them. If we push people to use free codecs (vorbis instead
of mp3, theora or dirac instead of h.264 and mpeg4 and divx) the world
may actually follow suit.

Not a decision which should be taken lightly.

(And naturally I'm for free codecs, let's kill wmv, or vmw or whatever
that pest called.)

My 2 'cents.

grin