[Foundation-l] RfC: License update proposal

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Jan 30 22:20:29 UTC 2009

Michael Snow wrote:
> Requirements like that (the US used to
> require a copyright notice) have been stripped away as an unreasonable
> burden on authors.
I don't think that that was the reason.  The publishers would be the
ones to make sure that the notice was there anyway. Like abandoning the
requirement that registration was a precondition to copyright
protection, it was a consequence to acceding to international treaties
which demanded that copyright vest automatically in the author.  The
author could not lose his rights out of ignorance.

Ec