[Foundation-l] Sexual Content on Wikimedia

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 00:35:03 UTC 2009

Forum shopping typically describes someone going from forum to forum trying
to get a different decision on some particular thing they want. In this
case, I don't think privatemusings is looking for a specific outcome (like
deleting an image, achieving a block, influencing an AfD, etc.). The object
is, and has been, to raise awareness of this as a significant issue.

The general subject was discussed recently in more detail on Jimmy's en.wp
talkpage. That discussion can be found at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Jimbo_Wales/Archive_43#BLP_and_images.
Some other things addressed in that section are userspace galleries of
explicit images under headings like "hot" "admiration of the female form"
etc.

Nathan

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 7:30 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2009/1/30 Nathan <nawrich at gmail.com>:
> > Sam - I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure privatemusings has as much
> right
> > as you or anyone else to post to this list. If you prefer not to discuss
> it
> > further, then you can simply refrain from reading the posts or
> responding.
>
> Sure, he has the right to post. However, forum shopping (if that is
> indeed what this is, and it does look that way) is generally frowned
> upon (mainly because it's a waste of everyone's time, including the
> poster's).

Your donations keep Wikipedia running! Support the Wikimedia Foundation
today: http://www.wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate