[Foundation-l] Fwd: Wikimedia IdeaTorrent?

Foundation-l list admin foundation-l-owner at lists.wikimedia.org
Thu Jan 29 09:30:06 UTC 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com" <jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 08:55:12 +0100
Subject: Fwd: [Foundation-l] Wikimedia IdeaTorrent?
To: foundation-l-owner at lists.wikimedia.org

I posted my idea here:
http://rdfintrospector2.blogspot.com/2009/01/mediawiki-voting-system.html

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Subject: Re: [Foundation-l] Wikimedia IdeaTorrent?
On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 11:30 PM, Platonides > Seems like bugzilla,
but with a separated "solutions" section, where
> proposed solutions can get votes.
> I don't think it should be added, but moving bugzilla to brainstorm
> could be considered.

Dear Friends,

it is a great honor for me to be on this mailing list,
and I am learning alot just by listening and watching.

Now, I would like to make a simple suggestion :

Lets take this nice technology, extract the essence and
make the wikimedia better :

Look at change.org, the facebook "causes" and other things like
hubdub.com. They allow people to vote with their feet.

How about a simple voting technology for the mediawiki?

Of course with limitations to make those votes more valuable:

With the ability to make comments on those votes,
even put "credits" or "money" on them like bets  (see hubdub.com) so
that they are valuable.

The ability to suspend them after a certain time so that they money
would be freed up.

The ability to give your vote to representative (mandates).

The ability to get votes by earning credits (good editiing)

If you had that, then you would
 be able to collect reasoned and weighted judgements and then use that
to poll people for all types of issue. It would also bring more
quality and a new form of interaction.

People love to see their name with a number on it!

People could also vote on changes, vote on other people and it would
give the wikimedia a whole new layer of interaction.

thanks for listening,

mike

James Michael DuPont
Organiser: Software Freedom Conference 2009
Aug 28, Sept 6, Sept 23 Prishtina Kosovo.
http://groups.google.com/group/free-software-conference/

--
Michael Bimmler
mbimmler at gmail.com