[Foundation-l] Open Knowledge Foundation

Oldak Quill oldakquill at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 22:50:11 UTC 2009

Hi Lennart,

I attended one of their conferences, OKCON, in London a couple of
years ago. I was also involved with one of their projects, Open
Shakespeare. They do a lot of work on open knowledge definitions and
license compatibility. They are also involved in developing tools and
in pushing specific projects (Open Shakespeare, open geodata, etc.).
There are certainly quite a few areas of potential
collaboration/support between OKFN and Wikimedia Foundation,
particularly in their "Open Knowledge Production" and tools projects.
At least, in these areas, there are similarities in goals. Unlike WF,
they are not limited to open knowledge production and tools, and
engage in more philosophical aspects of open/free knowledge.

If you have any specific ideas, there is an official mailing list
(http://lists.okfn.org/mailman/listinfo/okfn-discuss). There are also
a number of more specific mailing lists
(http://lists.okfn.org/mailman/listinfo/).

Oldak.