[Foundation-l] Wikia leasing office space to WMF

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Sat Jan 24 14:46:37 UTC 2009

Geoffrey,

I mostly agree with you that there's nothing wrong per se with the Wikimedia
Foundation sharing office space with Wikia.  From Erik's description of the
bidding process, I think the WMF is overpaying, though.  I think the "used
car salesman" analogy is appropriate.  There are lots of price points where
the WMF and Wikia both benefit.  The WMF seems to have gone out of its way
to help Wikia come up with the maximum such price point, while they should
have played harder to get.  Why wasn't Wikia made part of the bidding
process exactly like all the others?  Why were they given a suggested rate
which was then accepted?  How much of the process was explained to Wikia, or
known by anyone affiliated with Wikia, before the deal was accepted?  Why
does the press release describe the process one way (Wikia matched the
lowest bid) but Erik describe it another way (Wikia was offered the average
bid)?  From the descriptions provided it looks like the WMF decided to rent
space from Wikia, and then they took a bunch of bids to figure out a market
price.

This said, there are others who have in the past expressed very different
opinions about this sort of thing.  When the announcement was made that the
Wikimedia Foundation was moving to San Francisco, I asked whether or not
Wikia might be willing to donate some office space to the WMF (
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2007-September/033264.html).
Florence Devouard quickly answered saying that even if they were, the WMF
shouldn't accept it (
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2007-September/033276.html).
In Florence's mind, the potential for conflicts and appearance of conflicts
was so great that the Wikimedia Foundation shouldn't even accept office
space from Wikia *for free* (
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2007-September/033279.html
).

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen also responded, stating that he completely agreed with
Florence (
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2007-September/033281.html).
"Being perceived as tied at the hip to Wikia could potentially be
disastrous."  Then Angela chimed in, with the following:

"Wikia's donations towards the Foundation would be better spent elsewhere
rather than causing further confusion about the relationship between the two
companies by sharing an address.  Added to that, Wikia is in San Mateo which
is not ideal and not where Wikimedia is planning to be, and there is very
limited space in Wikia's office." (
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2007-September/033321.html
)

Not sure if these three still feel this way, and are just keeping quiet
about it, or if they've changed their minds.  At least some of the details
of Angela's view have changed, and sharing some space is of course different
from sharing all of it.  But each of the three cited as one of the major
detriments to Wikia *donating* office space to the WMF, that it would be
perceived as a conflict of interest.

Anthony