[Foundation-l] RfC: License update proposal

Nikola Smolenski smolensk at eunet.yu
Fri Jan 23 10:54:02 UTC 2009

On Thursday 22 January 2009 01:11:15 Erik Moeller wrote:
> Because I don't think it's good to discuss attribution as an abstract
> principle, just as an example, the author attribution for the article
> [[France]] is below, excluding IP addresses. According to the view
> that attribution needs to be given to each pseudonym, this entire
> history would have to be included with every copy of the article.

I have attempted to do something similar, by using the WikiBlame tool (
http://hewgill.com/~greg/wikiblame/ ) on the article
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athens , that is also fairly large and fairly
edited article.

The article as of today has 6438 revisions with 2296 distinct contributors
(anonymous included) of which 945 are registered Wikipedia users (for
comparison, the article [[France]] has 1345 distinct contributors which are
registered Wikipedia users).

However, according to http://hewgill.com/~greg/wikiblame/Athens.html and to
the extent its results are correct, as of sometime in 2008, the article had
480 distinct edits made by 188 distinct contributors (anonymous included) of
which 103 are registered Wikipedia users. If all edits shorter than 10
characters are excluded, then the article has 273 distinct edits, 121
distinct contributors (anonymous included) of which 63 are registered
Wikipedia users. They are given below:

Adam Carr, Aexon79, Alekow, Alx bio, Argos'Dad, Aris Katsaris, AtanasioV,
Athinaios, Avg, Bart133, Caponer, Cplakidas, D6, Dakart, Dialectric, Ductus,
Edwy, El Greco, Eric82oslo, Eugenio Archontopoulos, Evzone, Grammar7878,
Greenshed, Hectorian, Henry Carrington, IRelayer, Jiang, Jmco, Keizuko,
Kompikos, Korenyuk, LMB, Makalp, Makedonas, MalafayaBot, Male1979, Markussep,
Metallaxis, Michalis Famelis, MJCdetroit, Nasos12, Nikolas Karalis, Nlu,
Odysses, Pabouk, Pangrati7878, PHG, Politis, Porfyrios, Pyrate1700, Radiojon,
Recury, Rich Farmbrough, RTucker, Sabinpopa, Schizophonix, Sdornan, Sthenel,
Tasoskessaris, Theiasofia, WHeimbigner, Zyxw

Article length was 82028 bytes, and length of contributors' names is 650 bytes
(or 0.8% of the article's length). If that would be printed in an
encyclopedic format, the article would take some more than ten pages, and the
list of authors would take 10 rows, if printed in a slightly smaller font. To
me, this looks reasonable.