[Foundation-l] RfC: License update proposal

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Thu Jan 22 23:29:57 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 9:56 PM, Nathan <nawrich at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's by no means guaranteed that if we include "
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Dentistry&curid=8005&action=history
> "
> in a printed book in 2009 it will still be accessible in 2019.

You're right, which is another great reason *not* to link to the history
page URLs  (which are as ugly as sin) but to the article directly (which is
*significantly* more useful for the reusers' users). While I find it very
hard to believe Wikipedia will cease to exist, the same can't necessarily be
said for PHP and ugly GET requests are already a dying breed... If we do
eventually find a sensible way to identify primary authors then we can
always promote them to the article page, or a separate info/credits page
(which could include other metadata like creation date, edit and editor
counts, etc.).

On the other hand if we *must* have a separate link then perhaps appending
'/info', '/credit' or similar to the article URL would be a better choice.
Alternatively we could set up something like a purl partial redirect or even
run our own short link service (eg http://wikipedia.org/x9fd) which would
reliably point at a specific version and survive moves etc.

There are plenty of solutions - we just need to work out which one works
best and offends the least people.

Sam