[Foundation-l] RfC: License update proposal

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Thu Jan 22 02:53:48 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 8:31 PM, Sam Johnston <samj at samj.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 2:07 AM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com
> >wrote:
>
> > > "Das Wikipedia Lexikon in einem Band"[1] is another stunning example of
> > > attribution gone mad
> >
> > A few pages of names in a 1000 page book doesn't seem that mad to me.
> > I think it makes an excellent point about how Wikipedia works.
> >

> Perhaps, but it delivers ZERO benefit to the pseudonymous individuals
> listed
> and exacts a non-trivial toll on the reuser.

Depends on the pseudonym, but for the most part you're right.  On the other
hand, Mediawiki has long supported the "real name" preference, and even says
"Real name is optional. If you choose to provide it, this will be used for
giving you attribution for your work."

Regrettably, Wikipedia chose not to enable that field.