[Foundation-l] Re-licensing

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Wed Jan 21 23:20:14 UTC 2009

2009/1/21 Klaus Graf <klausgraf at googlemail.com>:
> IT'S ABSOLUTELY FALSE THAT GFDL HAS A PRINCIPAL AUTHOR CLAUSE.
>
> This clause only refers to a title page. READ THE LICENSE PLEASE.
> Wikipedia hasn't such a thing.

I've already explained our position on this issue in the prior thread
on the topic; we do not share the interpretation that the change
tracking obligations in the GFDL are relevant to the attribution terms
we use under CC-BY-SA; we do believe that the principal authors
requirement and the established practices regarding re-use under the
GFDL are relevant.

The attribution issue is so divisive, however, that I increasingly
wonder whether it wouldn't be sensible to add at least a set of
preferences to the licensing vote to better understand what people's
preferred implementation would look like, within the scope of what we
consider to be legally defensible parameters.

Erik
--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation