[Foundation-l] RfC: License update proposal

geni geniice at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 02:15:38 UTC 2009

2009/1/21 Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org>:
> This is a request for comment. I've posted a draft proposal for the
> license update here:
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Licensing_update
>
> It is not intended to be final, but I hope we can arrive at a final
> version by February 1.
>
> We would appreciate questions, comments, feedback. If there are
> obvious edits which you feel would make the proposal clearer, please
> do go ahead and make them, but please be careful about edits that
> substantially alter the proposal itself.
>
> Thanks!
> Erik

"to clarify that attribution via reference to page histories is
acceptable if there are more than five authors."

1)This isn't legal within anything close to the current wording of the page.
2)the methods you would have to use to make this legal make wikipedia
incompatible with other CC works (and also result in the rather
amusing situation of trying to present a URL as an attribution party).
Since they could not be added to a wikipedia page since the external
author would not have agreed to such attribution parties.

While I strongly object to the use of clause 4(c)i by the foundation
on the grounds of principle alone I can see no way a URL can be
considered an attribution party within the context of the license and
thus no way the 4th part of the lead can be legal.
--
geni