[Foundation-l] Wikipedia Attribution and Relicensing

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Tue Jan 20 15:35:49 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 6:59 AM, Sam Johnston <samj at samj.net> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 3:40 PM, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:
>
> > What about text works which were licensed under CC-BY-SA but were
> released
> > somewhere other than Wikipedia?  Can these be incorporated into
> Wikipedia?
> > How will their right to attribution be respected?  Is this allowance of
> > "reference by history URL" built in to CC-BY-SA, or is it specific to
> > Wikipedia?
> >

> The CC licenses give us a fair bit of room to move with regards to
> attribution, allowing for pseudonums, taking into account the medium,
> delegates (incl. publishing entities eg Wikipedia), etc.

That doesn't really any of my questions, though I was more looking for an
answer from Erik or Mike anyway.

It's a fairly important question, since compatibility with other works under
CC-BY-SA is allegedly the main reason for the relicensing.

Is the question clear?  Maybe I should be even more specific.  How would one
go about using content from Citizendium in Wikipedia, if Wikipedia
relicenses content under CC-BY-SA?  How would a third party go about using
the combined work?  How would the attribution rights of the Citizendium
contributors be respected?

I'm going to copy Larry Sanger on this message, because I'd like to hear his
input, and I hope he can poll the CZ community to see what type of
attribution they expect.  But Citizendium is, of course, only one example
among many.

Larry, do you understand the context or should I explain further?