[Foundation-l] Board resolutions (chapters)

Andrew Whitworth wknight8111 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 14:50:40 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 9:39 AM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> It does seem odd to me that there is a New York City chapter rather
> than a New York chapter. As I understand it, companies in the US are
> registered at state level. State boundaries are far more clearly
> defined (yes, I'm sure there is a legal definition of NYC, but it
> doesn't sound like the chapter are using it). The state of New York
> isn't overly large compared with the area under the remit of other
> existing chapters. So why doesn't this chapter represent the whole of
> the state? I really can't see any reason for it not to.

Consider it a case of bad naming: The bylaws say that the chapter
covers the entire state (and several neighboring states). However, the
working name of the group is "New York City" because that's where
their organizational focus is located. I personally live in
Philadelphia and plan to become a member of WMNYC soon.

--Andrew Whitworth