[Foundation-l] Board resolutions (chapters)

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 14:33:52 UTC 2009

> New York City is a city, and France or Germany are nations. In the
> geopolitical sense, the two are very different. However, in terms of
> chapters the geopolitical boundaries are meaningless. Chapters are
> defined and measured by their levels of participation. We don't say
> that a nation must always be "better" then a city, we say that one
> wikimedian is equal to one wikimedian. A Wikimedian in WMNYC who pays
> dues and participates is equal to a Wikimedian in Wikimedia France who
> pays dues and participates. To say that one group of our volunteers
> should be discounted because they represent a smaller area is not a
> good thing.

So would you suggest that votes at chapter meetings, etc., be weighted
by membership? That gets rather complicated when you consider that
different chapters function in different ways (different membership
fees, different responsibilities of members, different classes of
membership, etc). If you have one vote per chapter then it becomes
completely arbitrary.